Not necessarily, Fair Trade does promote organic farming with training for farmers and by offering a higher price for organic products. Many producers invest their Fair Trade premium funds in organic certification, which has led to outstanding results: nearly half of all Fair Trade Certified imports were also organic.
We believe that in order to improve living and working conditions for farmers and workers that their environment must also be clean and healthy.
Environmental standards are therefore integral to the Fair Trade criteria. These include:
- Protecting water resources and natural vegetation areas
- Promoting agricultural diversification, erosion control, and no slash and burn
- Restricting the use of pesticides and fertilizers
- Banning use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
- Requiring proper management of waste, water and energy