Fair Trade Coffee: By the Numbers
Since Fair Trade USA began certifying Fair Trade Certified products in 1998, coffee imports have surpassed 1 BILLION pounds!
We are also proud to share that:
- We now have over 1.3M farmers, farm workers and independent small holder farmers in our system.
- Our annual impact was over $30M for the second consecutive year.
- During 2012 & 2013 alone, we achieved nearly half of the all-time impact dollars since 1998.
- Farmer organizations earned an average of $0.84-$0.89 per pound above market price during the first half of 2013.
- 67 new coffee business partners joined Fair Trade USA in 2013.
- Consumer awareness of the Fair Trade Certified™ logo is now up to 55% of the U.S. population.
As we work toward the next billion, our focus will be on collaboration and innovation to achieve greater shared value for everyone that touches coffee. This also means improving the Fair Trade model to assess how we define and measure impact and its effect on all actors of the coffee supply chain. Going forward, it must be about how many farmers, farm workers and independent smallholders are being positively affected, the impact we are having on these farms, how much individual farmers are earning, and the level of consumer activation.