Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
These festive gluten-free Holiday cookies not only taste good, but make a great homemade gift too! This recipe comes to us from Frontier Natural Products Co-op, a company committed to providing pure organic seasonings that taste great and promote a healthy planet. They source their spices from growers committed to quality, sustainability and ethical trade to positively impact communities around the world. Be sure to also check out Frontier's Holiday Recipe Page for other fun (and tasty!) ideas.
Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup organic Fair Trade Certified cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Frontier® Fair Trade Certified organic vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Frontier® sea salt
- 3 cups (408g) gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon Frontier® Fair Trade Certified organic vanilla extract
- ½ cup goji berries (optional)
Note: Frontier® Co-op has provided this recipe as a suggestion for your use based on commonly available ingredients understood to be gluten-free and vegetarian. Frontier Co-op cannot guarantee the gluten-free nature of the specific ingredients you obtain or your preparation of the final recipe. Please exercise good judgment in selecting gluten-free ingredients. We define "vegetarian" as not including any meat, fish, seafood or any products derived from them or any other part of an animal. This recipe may include animal by-products such as eggs, dairy, honey and substances derived from them. Please review the recipe carefully to determine your personal preference.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large bowl, beat together softened butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla extract, baking soda and sea salt, continuing to beat mixture until well combined.
- Turn the mixer to low and add half the flour, mix until combined, and add remaining flour. Continue to beat until dough is well mixed. Remove dough from the bowl and place on a well-floured surface.
- Divide dough into four pieces. Roll out the first piece into a ¼-inch thickness and cut into desired shapes. Return combined scraps to remaining dough and continue to roll and cut.
- Place cookies on a baking tray covered with parchment paper and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cookies should be lightly browning around the edge. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to finish cooling.
- Once cookies are completely cool, place the powdered sugar in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla. Stir until icing is combined, adding 1 to 2 extra teaspoons milk at a time until icing is easily spreadable. Place cookie, top side down, into icing. Remove and wipe excess icing from the cookie with a knife. Return to the rack and continue with remaining cookies. Top cookies with goji berries for a bit of natural holiday color.
Note: Dough can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to use.