2014 Produce & Floral Almanac
Since Fair Trade USA’s Produce program began in 2004, farmers and workers have earned $18M in community development funds!
Some other highlights from 2014:
- 2014 was the biggest year yet for imports of Fair Trade Certified produce, sending over $5.5 million back to farmers and workers in community development premiums – 32% more than in 2013.
- Fair Trade Certified produce from Mexico was the growth leader, with producers & workers earning $2.4M in premiums – nearly $1M more than in 2013.
- 14 new produce farms & producer organizations became Fair Trade Certified, with a total of 64 growers selling Fair Trade Certified fruits and vegetables from nine different countries.
- 2014 was also the biggest year yet for Fair Trade Certified flowers, with more than 11.7 million Fair Trade Certified stems imported.
- With Fair Trade floral volumes up 10% over the previous year, workers earned over $525,000 in premiums in 2014, for a total of $2.7M earned since the start of the Fair Trade floral program, helping to address the most important needs of workers’ communities.
- 58% of all Fair Trade Certified produce sold in 2014 was organic.
Looking ahead, we will continue to collaborate with our growers and business partners to bring Fair Trade Certified produce & floral to more consumers, and bring the benefits of Fair Trade to more farmers and workers.