Featuring a smooth, rich taste and a silky consistency, this Dark Chocolate Cheesecake is as good as dessert gets. This Fair Trade recipe comes to us from Sunspire , a company committed to social responsibility and making a positive impact on our planet. Pair this divine cheesecake with a sprinkle of fresh raspberries and chocolate curls, and you've got a match made in heaven.
Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
- 24 chocolate wafer cookies
- 1 tbsp Fair Trade Certified Organic Sugar 
- ½ stick unsalted butter, melted
- 9 oz SunSpire™ Organic Fair Trade 65% Cacao Bittersweet Baking Chips 
- 32 oz cream cheese (equivalent to 4 standard 8 oz packages), softened
- 1¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons Fair Trade Certified Organic Sugar 
- ¼ cup SunSpire™ Organic Fair Trade Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup SunSpire™ Organic Fair Trade 100% Cacao Unsweetened Baking Bar , chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fair Trade Certified Sugar 
- Milk chocolate curls
Preheat oven to 350 ˚F. Butter a 9x3 inch spring-form pan and set aside. In a food processor, pulse wafer cookies until they form uniform crumbs. Add the melted butter, tossing with a fork to coat all of the crumbs. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Put pan in the oven and bake the crust for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir the chocolate chips in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove the bowl and let cool slightly. In the processor, blend the cream cheese, sugar and cocoa powder until smooth, and then add in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the lukewarm chocolate. Pour the filling over the prepared crust, smooth the top, and bake for approximately one hour or until center is just set. Cool for 5 minutes and then gently run a butter knife around the inside of the cake pan to loosen the sides, but do not attempt to remove the pan. Put the cake, still in the pan, in the refrigerator and chill well or over night.
In a heavy saucepan, stir chocolate, cream and sugar over low heat until smooth. Pour the mixture over the top of the chilled cheesecake, and spread to ½ inch of the edge. Chill the cake again for 1 hour. Release the sides of the pan, and transfer the cheesecake to a cake plate. Top with chocolate curls. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours before serving. This can be made three days ahead, refrigerated and covered with foil.