Looking for the perfect appetizer for your upcoming Holiday party? This stunning recipe comes to us from Frontier Natural Products Co-op , a company committed to providing pure organic seasonings that taste great and promote a healthy planet. They source their spices from growers committed to quality, sustainability and ethical trade to positively impact communities around the world. Be sure to also check out Frontier's Holiday Recipe Page  for other fun (and tasty!) ideas.
Vegetarian Roasted Beet Skewers with Curried Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 12 (4-inch) bamboo or metal skewers, or rosemary stems
- 6 medium beets, preferably of differing varieties, peeled and cut into 6 wedges each
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or substitute peanut oil)
- 2 teaspoons Frontier® Fair Trade organic cinnamon 
- Frontier® sea salt and Frontier® Fair Trade organic cracked black pepper , to taste
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ teaspoon Frontier® Fair Trade organic ground ginger 
- ½ teaspoon Frontier® organic garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon Frontier® Fair Trade organic turmeric 
- ¾ teaspoon Frontier® organic Garam Masala (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Frontier® organic cayenne pepper (or to taste, optional)
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice (roughly the juice from 1 lemon)
- 1½ cups plain yogurt
- Frontier® sea salt and Frontier® Fair Trade organic ground white pepper , to taste
Note: Frontier® Co-op has provided this recipe as a suggestion for your use based on commonly available ingredients understood to be "vegetarian," which we define as not including any meat, fish, seafood or any products derived from them or any other part of an animal. This recipe may include animal by-products such as eggs, dairy, honey and substances derived from them. Please review the recipe carefully to determine your personal preference.
- Soak the bamboo skewers or rosemary stems in water for 1 hour (unnecessary if using metal skewers).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If using the rosemary stems, use a skewer to poke "pilot" holes through the sides of each wedge.
- In a large bowl, toss the beets with the oil, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Place three beet wedges on each skewer or stem, and arrange in neat rows in a casserole dish. Roast on the top shelf of the oven for 20 minutes or to desired doneness. Meanwhile, place the raisins and all the spices in a mortar and pestle or food processor and grind to a paste. Add the lemon juice, mix, and then add the yogurt. Mix thoroughly, taste and adjust for salt and white pepper.
- Remove the skewers from the oven and serve immediately with the sauce either in a bowl on the side or drizzled over top.